5 Reasons you should do a Ski Season

It might be disingenuous to say that I love skiing. I am, after all, still trying to work out how to make a career out of it. I really do love skiing though; I love it so much I would bankrupt myself trying to spend as much time as I can in the mountains. That last part is as much my incurable fiscal irresponsibility as it is my equally incurable love of the mountains, but it stands nonetheless. 

So, I figured for my second ever post, I’d try out my sales pitch; these are the 5 reasons I think you should spend a season in the Alps.

1. You’ll make some friends for life.

 Sure, roughly 90% of the people you meet on your ski season, you’ll never see again afterwards, but the other 10% are keepers. I don’t mean ‘I’ll put you on my Christmas Card list’ keepers either. I mean, dyed in the wool, best man at your Wedding, would probably take in your kids if you died tragically in a car accident Keepers. With a capital K.

2. You’ll learn valuable life skills

Like downing a pint in under a minute, thirty seconds on a good day, how to cook a three course meal while blind drunk, and how to do a deep clean while in the darkest pits of hungover hell. These things will all come in handy later in life. Probably. Someday.

I’ll get back to you on that one.

3. You’ll get those sweet, sweet discounted rates

Seriously, seasonaire discounts are the one. They cover everything from beer to equipment, and they make it a lot easier to live in a ludicrously expensive ski town for half a year. If you’re quick on the draw, you can get a ski town job that covers basically all your living costs, leaving you free to spend that measly minimum wage income on more exciting things

4. You’ll see behind the curtain

Working in a ski town is a lot like being the Wizard in the Wizard of Oz. You’re constantly trying to make it appear like you’re unruffled and absolutely prepared, while also not having the faintest clue what you’re doing. It’s all about tricking the punters into thinking you’ve got your shit together.

5. You’ll be able to spend every day on the hill

And isn’t this the main reason you’re even thinking about doing a ski season? You’ll spend every day on the slopes, or else you’ll spend it in the bar after a few too many tequila poms. The main reason to do a ski season, beyond the menial labour and hilarious hours, is because you really like to ski. So we say, in the words of Shia LaBeouf, do it! Do it! Do iiittt!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s